Saturday 25 July 2009

The First City Break

So I've been to a lot of cities and I guess to say this was the first would be a bit of a lie. But it was the first time I've been away with a female friend to a city just to see what was there, just because I could.
So we decided we'd go to Berlin, because I had a couple of days off work. the next day we booked it and 5 days later we were on the plane! which was pretty cool in itself. and the trip followed in the same vain, fast paced and exciting. I'm only going to write about the highlights mind, otherwise ill be here for days.

The city is quite strange in that there seem to be a lot of space. It's not all crammed together with a tower block wherever they can fit one. I first noticed this when we got to the holocaust memorial. it's absolutely stunning. unimaginable. overcasting. enlightening. powerful. probably better than any landmark or sculpture or statue I have ever seen and its so interactive. AND MASSIVE! I'll leave you with the pics:





(the pretty lady is my best mate Lu)

Die Neue National Gallerie was designed by Miles van der Rohe, and kind of looks like a swimming pool thats turned inside out. its a big glass box with a flat black roof you go in and the downstairs to get the the main exhibitions but your not underground there is still natural light. its quite exciting. we saw some lovely surrealist work there but I think I liked the architecture best.



Helmut Newton: is basically the shit! We went to the Sumo exhibition at the Helmut Newton Foundation. Bloody brilliant made me want to take my clothes off even more than normal! Couldnt decide which pic to put up so I thought I'd give you a taste of the most obvious.



One evening we went to the cutest bar, kind of reminded me of the Birdcage in Norwich. It was called Schokoladen. The beer was cheap and the ladies were pretty. The guys were pretty hot too actually. there were 3 acts: Stefana Fratila from Canada she was good but the whole cute girl singing high pitched and playing the ukulele thing is getting a bit common. Next up was a girl who goes buy the name of Umiumi. She does this kind of electro pop act and dances, with no shoes and no bra, like a swift or some other beautiful bird. Basically I fell in love and I think half the crowd did as well. The last act was Little Pictures. they were good and put in their all and were a really cute pair of best friends. The kind you wish were a couple. I have a feeling we will be seing more of them in the future.


(Umiumi: click pic for her myspace)

So my few days were jam packed full of exciting and cultural stuff. I could go on but I think ive told you the most important parts.

Lovely city. I highly recomend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment