Thursday 2 July 2009

New Blood

I was the only first year on my course that went, which did make me a little sad but hey, I had fun. the day was amazing you arrive and walk onto a bright yellow carpet that glows like the sun! there were so many colleges there, it was great to see what everyone was doing from around the country. It was interesting to see that work of graduates from colleges I didn't end up at. It was good to see how to display work and what works and what really doesn't. Farnham were a good bad example of this they printed the work on big sheets of rubber and clipped them at each corner to their space. it did not show off the work well at all. Alternatively Bristol had a good layout at their space and I was impressed by the quality of work. some of it was lovely. I think I was most impressed with ECA and Falmouth, you can really tell that they are independent art schools, the work is of such high standards and so refreshing.
I went to a couple of talks whilst I was there. I saw one called 'Digital on The Move' presented by Alasdair Scott from The Bright Place who only produce work for mobile e.g. any screen you can take on the move: phone, Nintendo DS, PSP, etc. They take the concept of 3 screens (tv, computer, and phone) and reverse them saying your always have your mobile on you and it rarely turned off, which is so true. This makes it the most accessible point of communicating with audiences. Interesting point and very relevant to Graphic Communications.
then I saw a panel talk on own brands and supermarket structure in this economic decline. The talk was chaired by Linda the editor of design week and the speakers were:
Richard Murray from William Murry Hamm (Hamm being the current president of D&AD)
Doug James from Honey
Jonathan Ford from Pearlfisher (one of my favourite agencies)
and Kate Blanford who was the design manager for Sainsbury's own brand range for 8 years!
also Bruce Duckwork walked in and sat at the back halfway through and to be honest I was too star struck to learn a lot from it but there were some nice quotes that I will put on the 'Quote wall'
New Blood Site

No comments:

Post a Comment