Wednesday 18 March 2009

Getting Back in the Studio

So I did a photography A-level but that seems like forever ago. Despite being one of the best courses of my life I don’t really remember a huge amount about studio stuff, lighting etc. Plus on my A-level we pretty much only used black and white film. Which was not a bad thing b&w film will always be one of those things that makes me go oooh! And I liked it because it was real and it was very easy to fuck up at many different stages be it loading, taking, processing or developing. But that’s part of its charm. The fact you have to trust yourself to know what your doing and hope a bit that fate is on your side. Otherwise your screwed, simple as.



Medium format image I took with Hasselblad during A-level.
Possibly my best photo to date.

So when I got my DSLR I was not so interested and I'm still not. Digital photography will probably never be a passion to me and I'm not sure whether it's because I don’t like the buttons and the pretending or whether it’s because I find colour very difficult. Black and white is so easy to make sexy, white balance is not so important, but colour is a pain in the arse. Despite this I obviously understand why it exists and why it has become an industry standard that no one uses film anymore. We live so much faster lives nowadays.
So anyway we had the opportunity to get back into the studio last week and in groups of 4 were set a word to represent, ours was Anticipation. Unfortunately I've had a pretty bad cold and as stubborn as I am the lighting didn’t end up quite the way I wanted but I think we did a good job considering the somewhat tricky subject matter, my advice: never take a picture of a translucent shiney object in a studio. I did learn a fair bit but mainly about where equipment was kept and so on, some of which I knew already as I've already used the NUCA studio twice, but none the less the more time spent down there the more the technicians will like me, or that’s what I hope.



Anticipation: taken last week at NUCA with a converted medium format camera, shot to screen as a RAW.

1 comment:

  1. With regards to the post on photography - colour (or anything else for that matter) is as difficult as you want to make it. All you need to do is ask the right question but only IF you want the answer...

    ReplyDelete