Sunday 29 March 2009

Turning Virtual

Oh deary me, where to start. It's been a very long week. I think what I want to talk about most is pushing yourself. I feel like since I started my course I've only really had time to keep things safe. Well safeish. As in a 50% chance from the offset that it was achievable anyway. But for the last project I simply didn't care if we had enough time or not, the brief was a little dull and obvious and all I wanted to do was for us to come up with something different. The brief was to re-design Fruit Shoot and make the product appear healthier but at the same time make it cool for kids and something they would want to be seen drinking. This brief was set to real design agencies and the client bought Brandhouse's concept before briefing us students to see what radical stuff we could come up with. My teams main focus was the bottle. Packaging should be cool, if its somthing you want to have and to hold it can make or break a product, and the subconscious of kids knows this. did you ever see a kid was round Asda and pick up a Smart Price item? So our bottle had to be shit hot but easy, cheap and ethical to produce. We took inspiration from Original Source shower pouches, but decided to keep the main elements of the Fruit Shoot graphics the same with a similar logo and similar colour range. In order to achieve an understandable visual we had to mock up our product. there was no way we could have done this for real and still have it looking slick. so we went on a digital adventure. We went over to games design and learnt how to use their crazy software. It was hard and very, very confusing. we built our product in Silo and then mapped it in Maya. 2 weeks ago I had never heard of either of these pieces of software but now I dont feel scared to use them or be more ambitious with what I might use them for. I'm really pleased with our outcome for fruit shoot and I can honestly say if I was Britvic I would rather have our idea than Brandhouse's.

Brandhouse redesign


vs The Students (package should show a sports cap but there's no way we could figure out how to build one of those in Silo)
And just one more thing, I think I'm actually getting used to this pitching thing, it's awkward and a bit fake and nerve wracking but I secretly enjoy it, especially when I know I've done my best and I can talk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment