Wednesday 22 April 2009

Long Motorway Journeys and Design

So I've always been interested in maps, road signage, and how the fuck motorway systems actually work, but they're the given beauty of roads. However this toime whilst driving the 6+ hours back to Norwich, alone, there were 2 things that really got my design brain going. Firstly: lorry graphics, this isn't something I think about alot but when your on the roads a strong graphical presence on a lorry can be important. I think visually the 2 best lorries I saw were: Red Bull (half of the logo e.g. one bull was shown at the front end of either side of the vehicle so) it looks like the bull is pushing the lorry forward, and Ocado who i did not know about until seeing there brightly coloured fresh food orientated delivery vans on the road.


And secondly Tunnels. There is something about tunnels that I really like. A lot. I think it has something to do with the lines on the ground being mirrored by the lines in the lights, and something to do with it being a bit more dark and a bit more dangerous and your inside something and you cant get out until its finished, and it makes you feel like your driving faster and it just looks so pretty. I don't care if you think thats odd, I'm perfectly happy to admit I get a bit of a thrill from driving through tunnels, there, I said it.

No comments:

Post a Comment